CrossFit Hand Care

I’ve struggled with keeping my hands in decent shape. I’ve never had “tough hands,” so stepping into all the pull ups, toes to bar & knees to elbow was a real challenge. I suffered from torn, bruised, bloody hands a lot that first year. Read On»

Review of the Minimalist Barefoot Belleville TR 102 Mini-Mil Boot

As a fan of barefoot shoes (which some people call minimalist footwear), I’m always on the lookout for new footwear. I’ve been looking for proper minimalist boots for years. Read On»

Droid Razr Maxx – How To Remove Stock Apps

Get Rid of Those Annoying Stock Apps on Your Droid Razr Maxx Read On»

Droid Razr Maxx Boot Into Recovery

Droid Razr Maxx – Easily Boot Into Recovery

There are lots of great reasons why you need to get your Droid Razr Maxx into recovery mode – maybe for a hard reset after bricking a ROM install, or just to explore. Whatever the reason, the directions are the same and they’re posted below for your perusal.
As with performing any risky operation on an Android device, start with a full battery. If something goes haywire, you’ll be happy you have the juice! No, you don’t need a full battery, but if you mess something up and don’t have enough time left on the battery to fix it, don’t come running to my house asking me for help! Yes, as excited as I get for a new ROM or testing something else, I make sure I have a fully charged battery. Especially for the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx since I can’t remove the battery.

To boot your Motorola Droid Razr Maxx into recovery, regardless of your version of Android, follow these steps.

1. Power Off the Droid Razr Maxx in the normal way, by pressing the power button and selecting “power off.” If that doesn’t work, you can hold down the two volume buttons (yes, both up AND down) and then hold in the power button. The screen will go blank after a second and then you can let go of the power button.
  2. Now, press and hold both volume buttons again, but this time press and hold the power button, too.
  3. When you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu let go of all the buttons.
  4. Press the volume down to select Recovery and then press Volume Up.
  5. From the screen with the half-dead looking Android guy, press volume up and volume down again (yep, same time).
  6. Use the volume up and volume down buttons to navigate the menus, and the power button to make your selection.

That’s it. You should now be all set to do whatever it is you want your Droid Razr Maxx to do while in Recovery. You might want to check out my other Droid Razr Maxx resources.

Droid Razr Maxx

Image via Motorola.com

22 Responses to Droid Razr Maxx Boot Into Recovery

1. Nate says:

How would you navigate back (as the back button would) in the recovery mode?

2. Nathaniel Hall says:

Ok, thank you

3. Michael says:

Thank you. This article helped me successfully restore my phone. The phone was stuck loading on the droid eye. I tried to clear the cache first, but that did not help, so I did the factory reset and have my phone back now. I have a razr maxx hd.

Thanks

4. Jane says:

Thank you for your helpful post. I needed to clear the cache but didn’t know how to get into recovery mode. Your steps were complete and easy to follow, even for people who have never tried doing this before. Your descriptions answered all my questions before I could even ask them! :)

5. Dee says:

What am I supposed to do when the screen is stuck on the Motorola sign when you power on the phone? It won’t do anything I’ve been soft-resetting it for hours and it keeps coming back to this screen.

6. Daryl says:

Motorola Droid Maxx that freezes — the rotating ‘eyeball’ still has electrical arcs moving around it — but will not process beyond it. Soft reset steps do not generate a ‘flash’ on the screen, just reboots to the freeze again. Data backups of contacts, photos, and calendar delinked sometime, and of course I did not catch it, and are not current. Hard reset not yet done because of the data problem. Thoughts/suggestions?

• Unfortunately, your next step is hard reset. Most of your data should be on the sd card. Sorry!

• Daryl says:

Hard reset complete, boot still hangs and will not complete. Likely hardware failure. And about the sd card for data, not this time — even though I thought it was configured that way. Samsung S4 will be delivered tomorrow to replace the Droid.

7. Marisa says:

What should I do if I can get to the screen with the sick android but it won’t go into the next menu when I press volume up and down?

• That depends on why it’s happening. Do your buttons work ok?

• Angela says:

I’m having the same problem. The buttons worked fine to get to this screen, but now pressing the volume up and down buttons isn’t doing anything.

• Kiku says:

I am having exactely the same situation. I got to the android lying with the insides out (and a warning sign on top, btw). On this point no button or button combination seems to do anything useful. At this point any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

8. brandon says:

What if the power button does not work? Can you still get to the recovery mode?

9. Forrest says:

Your instructions were close. To get from the dead android guy, press both up and down volume quickly. A long push will not do it. Note, there are a couple of different menus that the controls work differently on. Read the instructions carefully on each one.

10. Dan says:

“Recovery Boot up Failed” – This is the code I get when I try to select RECOVERY on the Fastboot screen. What else can I do? I want to get my photos off the phone.

• Unfortunately you’ll likely need to seek professional data recovery service. I’d also recommend using DropBox in the future and enabling the Camera Upload feature so this can’t happen again. ~jeremy

11. Jeanne says:

I am stuck on the half dead looking android guy. Under him it says No command. and on him is a exclamation point. Then it went back to the M logo dual core technology and gets stuck again in the eye.??

Thank you for the info to get to the half dead android guy, I couldn’t get anything new until your explanation.